Re: Las Vegas, Bill Maryott

> Gerry -- what do you think Bill Maryott means by "promotion of iris and how
> it relates to judging" ???  With what did folks disagree??

What follows is rambling and not a good answer to your question, but
he is such a captivating speaker that I took very few notes.  ;-(
Also, some of the following comes from the comments of others.

He started by stating the equality: iris judging = garden judging;
show judging is just a game done to promote iris by exposing the
public to them. (A good game that he enjoys, but a game nonetheless)

At one point he seemed to be implying that even garden judging is
almost futile, since its purpose is to encourage hybridizers to
introduce good iris, and most buyers are interested only in color
(he planted a row of Silverado in the front of his garden and
everyone walked right by it). So color's what (too) much of the
hybridizing effort is devoted to.

The most commonly mentioned fault of iris is short bloom season,
but extra buds are seldom rewarded, and early or late bloomers
are usually penalized, since they are not often seen at conventions.

Iris with large displays tend to do well on the ballot, even if they
don't look so good after a storm.

Karin and others who were there, HELP!