Re: rebloomers

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996 LMann76543@aol.com wrote:
> Gary said I think I need a trusty friend now in a warmer climate who would
  treat my things like I would, ;) , and see if they rebloom.
> How do you treat your babies?  Comet, raised beds, imported soil, divide
> every year or two, watered and fertilized regularly (pampered), or tho' 'em
> out there and see what lives (neglected)? : )

Linda, I use raised beds, and good soil, divide, water ocassionally and
fertilze heavily!  I double dig my beds (WHAT A CHORE IN MASSACHUSETTS!)
and put compost or manure in the bottom (IN the south, I used Sewage
sludge) and then till and add:  alfalfa pellets, lime, superphosphate,
13-13-13, gypsum, and extra potash. And then throw the topsoil back on and
then leave the beds for two years and do nothing to them until time to
remake.  So far it has worked well for me.  A lot of work, but I beleive
irises to be heavy feeders.
	Just got my catlaog from Tempo Two in Australia and Barry
mentioned an article from an old English catalogue with an article by Mr.
W. R. Dykes himself, which said:  "When transplanting bearded iris my own
practice is to add superphosphate, which seems to ward off attacks of
rhizome rot, and then to counteract any acidity in the soil, use a
dressing of finely ground limestone (Agricultural Lime, 'I use
pellitized') in winter.  And he underscores: Otherwise in a limeless
soil, bearded iris are apt to suffer from leaf spot."
	And speaking of Tempo Two, Barry has another reblooming intro:
FAVOURS: Zing Me X Knight Templar.  He also has some really gorgeous
stuff.  Some of the ppl in our club are going to make a combined order
and share the costs of all the import stuff u have to do and send an order.

Gary Sides Region 1