Re: I. Japonica... was Lace Handkerchief iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: I. Japonica... was Lace Handkerchief iris
  • From: Mike00Rita@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 04:45:54 -0600 (MDT)

     I also grow I. japonica  outside under a pear tree. It is protected
pretty well  but I never have mulched or protected it from the winter
elements and we do get some temps below 20 degrees f. The worst damage I get
is from slugs who love to slip and slide all over the moist leaves and from a
lawn mover which nips the leaf tips when the leaves get in the way.
     Carla Lankow grows hers in a large pot and stores it in the garage over
the winter so the foliage on her plant is spotless and lovely.
     I have heard that the species was referred to as "laced handkerchief" ,
but don't mistake it for a wet paper tissue- it is not droopy.

Rita B
Region 14, zone 7
USA   western Washington