Re: CULT: I. versicolor

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Barbara Mann wrote:

> Rita wrote:
>
> "Hi Barb
>       I have some I. versicolor in pots just because I'm running out of
> space. I put my potted iris in a protected spot in the garden (between two
> rows of wooden sided raised beds) and stuff shredded wood  between the pots.
> I lose very few, but they don't grow as vigerously. If you have small plants
> and the temps go below 20 degrees it would probably be a good idea to give
>  them the extra care  you are considering."
>
> Thanks, Rita, but I'd better go with Plan A.  Our temps in January always or
> nearly always go down to 0 F, and some winters to -5 or -10, and once in a
> while, -15 or so.  Though I understand the long-term forecast for this winter
> is milder than usual for this area, and wetter.  Makes it sound like a good
> winter for the ski areas.
> Do you put any of your versicolors in a pond?  If these make it through the
> winter, I may try that next spring. Barb in Santa Fe

I know of several I versicolor clumps growing in a marsh in this
zone 4 area so you could try it and expect them to grow well.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html