CULT: layers of cells?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: layers of cells?
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 05:10:52 -0600 (MDT)

Hello. I was just sitting here peeling some dead skin off a finger and it
occurred to me to wonder how many layers of plant cells there are in the
average iris petal. Is it one layer of very thick cells or several layers
of thin ones? Are there sublayers as there are in human skin?

Also, when we notice the difference in "substance" between droopy petals
and stiff petals, is that difference caused by water retention differences
in the cells? In other words, is substance a matter of water retention? You
know some people bloat while others are never puffy. Could there be some
plant version of that variation going on between good- and poor-substanced

Just wondering.

Little Rock