Re: CULT: I. versicolor

>  I have some I. versicolor in pots just because I'm running out of
>space. I put my potted iris in a protected spot in the garden (between two
>rows of wooden sided raised beds) and stuff shredded wood  between the pots.
>I lose very few, but they don't grow as vigerously. If you have small plants
>and the temps go below 20 degrees it would probably be a good idea to give
> them the extra care  you are considering."
>Thanks, Rita, but I'd better go with Plan A.  Our temps in January always or
>nearly always go down to 0 F, and some winters to -5 or -10, and once in a
>while, -15 or so.  Though I understand the long-term forecast for this winter
>is milder than usual for this area, and wetter.  Makes it sound like a good
>winter for the ski areas.

	I am perplexed at this...the species I. versicolor is native to
	Zone 3 (here) where the temps. plummet to -40 degrees F each winter.
	They are very cold hardy...mulching in the wild here and no pots. :)

	Granted, I. versicolor is native to parts of the continent where the
	temps are milder...the hybrids seem to do as well as the species.

	They also like moist areas but they do not grow in ponds in the
	wild here. They are found mostly in sunny, moist areas near a wood.
	I have personally never seen them growing in a pond.

Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /    Zone 3
Siberian iris robin    /  sibrob@ncia.net