Celia Storey wrote:

>   my apologies to the list for starting this muddle =

No apologies necessary.  Every so often
we need to be reminded of the complexities
the early Registrars faced.

> . I sidetracked myself wondering if perhaps the other
>  cultivar might not be available in Australia, where the ID requester

A valid questions.  There must be some
variant of Murphy's Law that says the =

surest way to discover stock of an "obsolete"
cultivar is to give it's name to a new one...

>  What was I thinking? That Australia's iris population descended from
>  discontinued irises escaped from cruise ships? That's downright
>  I am OFFENDED by what I might have thought.

But Farr's cultivar was distributed.  All perfectly
legal -- and it's quite possible that it persists =

somewhere.  Yes, even Austrailia!

I should have stressed that anyone who
has one of those "superceded" cultivars
has a REAL collector's item.

>  Sharon, if you don't object, I'd like to print your post and attach it=

>  the inside of our club's copy of the '39 and '49 CLs. The info's in th=
>  introduction, but you make it more understandable.

No objections, at all.

>  Wouldn't reading the Checklists make a good meeting program?

Yes!  Are you going to tape it?  <GD&R>

Sharon McAllister