Re: CULT: vernalization

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: vernalization
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 19:23:07 -0600 (MDT)

Bill Shear wrote:

> >Hi Bill,
> >
> >Could you amplify what is meant by vernalization please.
>

> In the particular application to I. versicolor, it may be (repeat, may be)
> that there is such a requirement.  Thus plants of versicolor or any other
> iris kept growing and warm all winter would not flower the following
> spring, having missed their chilling period.

My I. versicolor bloomed this spring after a very warm
(even for Los Angeles) winter.

> You may have had the experience of buying chyrsanthemum plants in the
> spring and having them flower almost immediately.  I'm not sure I remember
> the correct explanation for this, but it seems to be related to
> vernalization.  Can anyone help on the chrysanthemum question?

My impression is that they need cool nights and a
certain length of daylight.

Gerry, who won't mention seeing a picture of the sea bird
mentioned a lot in this list recently landing on one of
those things floating in the ocean to mark sea lanes.
It was titled "Buoy Meets Gull"
--
gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles