Re: HYB:Reblooming TBs

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB:Reblooming TBs
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 22:09:23 -0600 (MDT)

art bern wrote:

> Have any of the hybridizers tried crossing rebloomers during the
> reblooming cycle and if so, what kind of luck, care and pod seed
> collection was done? I'm sure that it couldn't be done in the colder
> climates but in the warmer zones I would think it would or could be
> done.

Art,

Yes, I have done this the past two Octobers with good success since our
winters have been relatively mild and the pods were allowed to mature.
I harvested the pods in December.  The problem I encountered is getting
the seeds to germinate.  They will not germinate as readily as seeds
harvested in the summer.  When I plant the seeds in January/Febuary they
will not germinate in the spring with my previous summer seeds.  They
seem to need more time.  I kept the pots(I pot my seeds) and many
germinated the spring after.  Anyone have any ideas on whats going on
with these fall/winter seeds?  I have about 20 pots I'm carrying over
from last fall crosses.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California