Missing Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Missing Iris
  • From: kingp@wsu.edu (Pat King)
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:47:28 -0600 (MDT)

I am new to the list and have really enjoyed the tidbits I am learning.  I
have always loved iris, but am just beginning to learn what to do to help
mother nature.  I planted a few iris last fall (moving gifts from my old
workplace) and enjoyed the beginning of an iris garden.

I had a disheartening experience last weekend and would like some advice.
I had old iris, all tall bearded, (minimum of 40 yrs. old) in a garden that
previously belonged to my now deceased father-in-law.  They were to be
shared with members of the family when they could be dug and split.  Last
week while I was out of town a visiting member of the family removed ALL
the iris while I was away.

I immediately ran to the store to see if I could locate any healthy
rhizomes to begin a new garden, but had no luck at all (everything was
dried up and ugly).  I live in central Washington state and believe I am in
AIS region 13.

My questions are:

        1.  Am I plain out of luck for next spring?  (Is it too late to
plant this year)?  And, where in central or western Washington might I find
iris at this time of year?
        2.  Any suggestions of places I might be able to locate some
inexpensive decent-quality rhizomes?  I would love to replace the "missing"
ones with older varieties, but beggars and choosers are two different
things, and I don't even know varieties that would be pre-1960.  Variety
        3.  I will write to the catalog addresses I find at the listserv
homepage, but are there other places I should try to contact?

        4.  Please, all wish me luck in this endeavor as I hope to create
an iris garden (behind my no trespassing signs!) the family would literally
"die" for!!