CAT-Confusions, Sourcebooks and Caveat Emptor

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CAT-Confusions, Sourcebooks and Caveat Emptor
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:01:08 -0600 (MDT)

Mike Lowe, clarifying the confusion over sea gull names observed:

<<  The AIS registrar quite correctly picked up on the fact that a
 non-registered  iris was being sold under the name 'Seagull' and published,
 in the 49 C.L, the name of the firm responsible. We no longer do this --
'caveat emptor' rules! >>

The problem of irises circulating under bogus or faulty names is particularly
troublesome in the world of historic irises. An historic iris is one
introduced before 1967. Honest mistakes do occur, and differences of opinion
exist, and these can be always be sorted out in time among responsible
parties. But to some extent the buyer must always be aware, and
beware--caveat emptor.

Purveyors of plants maybe inadequate for other reasons as well. One source
which several of us have been investigating this season has proven to be
disappointing. This source, however, is listed a respected national
publication which we have also been discussing, Gardening By Mail, now
circulating in several editions. Here the lesson is that such listings cannot
carry assurances of satisfaction, and, again, the buyer must beware.

Any one experience, positive or negative, with a supplier may be the
exception, and proves nothing, but in numbers we can discern patterns.
Communication is essential. In this spirit I refer you to my post of several
days ago in which I solicited your assistance in regard to sources for
historic and historically important species irises. Positive recommendations
and good sources are being sought. Your cooperation would be much

Anner Whitehead    Henryanner@aol.com
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society AIS