Re: Missing Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Missing Iris
  • From: Lane Alexander-Buck <alex@mail.wsu.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:25:02 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Pat,
Welcome to the list.  I am responding to your post because I've a feeling
that you do not live very far from me.

I'm really sorry about your loss...how awful!

This is my personal experience, but I would not recommend trying to replace
these iris at this time.  It is too late in the season and if you could
find them they wouldn't have a chance to get established before the
freezing weather hits (frost hit my garden 2 nights ago).  I need to get my
new and divided iris in the ground in July to ensure they are established
before winter sets in.  Perhaps if you live in the Moses Lake area it is
somewhat warmer and I do not what the folks over there do, you might wish
to get in touch with the Spokane iris society if you live near Spokane.

I haven't followed the "potting iris" thread but perhaps that might be a
route to go, if you can locate some iris.

I would be happy to help you out next spring.  I have another bed I need to
divide and would be delighted to share with you.  I understand how hard it
is to wait!

Good luck!

At 11:47 AM 10/2/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I am new to the list and have really enjoyed the tidbits I am learning.  I
>have always loved iris, but am just beginning to learn what to do to help
>mother nature.  I planted a few iris last fall (moving gifts from my old
>workplace) and enjoyed the beginning of an iris garden.
>I had a disheartening experience last weekend and would like some advice.
>I had old iris, all tall bearded, (minimum of 40 yrs. old) in a garden that
>previously belonged to my now deceased father-in-law.  They were to be
>shared with members of the family when they could be dug and split.  Last
>week while I was out of town a visiting member of the family removed ALL
>the iris while I was away.
>I immediately ran to the store to see if I could locate any healthy
>rhizomes to begin a new garden, but had no luck at all (everything was
>dried up and ugly).  I live in central Washington state and believe I am in
>AIS region 13.
>My questions are:
>        1.  Am I plain out of luck for next spring?  (Is it too late to
>plant this year)?  And, where in central or western Washington might I find
>iris at this time of year?
>        2.  Any suggestions of places I might be able to locate some
>inexpensive decent-quality rhizomes?  I would love to replace the "missing"
>ones with older varieties, but beggars and choosers are two different
>things, and I don't even know varieties that would be pre-1960.  Variety
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>        3.  I will write to the catalog addresses I find at the listserv
>homepage, but are there other places I should try to contact?
>        4.  Please, all wish me luck in this endeavor as I hope to create
>an iris garden (behind my no trespassing signs!) the family would literally
>"die" for!!
Lane Alexander                   alex@wsu.edu
3696 Butte Rd
Moscow, Idaho