Re: CULT: I. versicolor

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: I. versicolor
  • From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:51:14 -0600 (MDT)

>        They also like moist areas but they do not grow in ponds in the
>        wild here. They are found mostly in sunny, moist areas near a wood.
>        I have personally never seen them growing in a pond.

Here on the Delmarva Penninsula, indigenous versicolors are seen growing
in a few inches of water. I have seen them in ponds which keep a fairly
constant water level all year long and also growing in tidal marshes
(but not salt marshes), where they may be in as much as 6" of water at a
normal high tide. I have not seen them in places where they do not get
lots of sun and constant moisture. Virginicas are more common in the
tidal marshes here and grow MUCH larger.

R. Dennis Hager
Zong 6-7