Space Age Appendages

Rusty wrote:

>  I was wondering how hybridizers can tell the difference between spoons=

>  and flounces.  I mean, Mesmerizer is listed as having flounces...but
>  Honey Scoop has spoons. (That look exactly like Mesmerizer's flounces.=
)
>  What is the qualifying distinction?

It's a matter of degree.

Horns came first.  They end in points.

Spoons came next.  In Austin's words, he
found among his horned seedlings some
in which  "the horn occasionally forms a =

decorative spoon at the end", and selected
these as his second new race.

Flounces followed.  Again, in Austin's
words: "horns transformed to diverse
petal-like decorative features". With the
introduction of his first flounced iris in =

1961, which he called his third race, he
coined the term "Spage Age Iris".

Actual performance is an interaction
of heredity and environment.  When
exceptionally well-grown, some of