CULT: I. versicolor

Diana wrote:

I know of several I versicolor clumps growing in a marsh in this
zone 4 area so you could try it and expect them to grow well.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address"

Thanks, Diana. I'm beginning to get a little less intimidated by these iris,
maybe.  To those of you who seem to be confused as to why I asked if they
could grow in a pond, rest assured that I don't mean submerged like a water
lily; I mean at the margins like a bog plant.  I know these seeds came "from a
New York swamp", but I'm afraid I don't really understand genuine swamps.
Never seen one.  So my next question is:  what happens to swamps in New York
in winter--do they dry out before freezing, or do they freeze like skating
ponds with vegetation sticking out?  I know, I should go visit somewhere cold
in winter, but I'm not that brave.  And do the iris grow in the mud/water of
the swamp, or do they prefer higher ground near the mud/water?

Barb, perplexed in Santa Fe