  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SEAGULLs & PUNS
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 21:00:06 -0600 (MDT)

Edmund L. Castillo wrote:
> At 09:26 AM 10/2/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 97-10-01 22:51:38 EDT, you write:
> >
> ><<  where Kathy, apparently, would
> > leave no tern unstoned.  jgcrump@erols.com
> >  >>

> >I love you for this one!
> >

> To Griff:  I first heard "leaves no tern unstoned" about a sailor stationed
> at the end of the runway in Midway who was assigned to throw rocks at gooney
> birds.  But did you know he had a cousin in Norfolk -- worked at the Naval
> Shipyard, I believe, or maybe at Newport News Shipbulding and Drydock -- who
> specialized in painting the fantails of ships?  It was his  mission to leave
> no stern untoned.
> Sorry.
> >
> >Kathyguest... who spoke to Tony Huber of Montreal last night and he confessed
> >he is donating 100 inter-species upcoming INTRODUCTIONS to the JI Symposium
> >Auction!  yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa
> >
> Edmund L. Castillo in Loudoun Co., VA
> castillo@pipeline.com

Ed -- Thanks for tracing the etymology of the tern stoner back to
Midway. As for the fantail painter, it reminds me that we should
probably try to get this discussion back on an even keel.

-- And you're right, Art -- we're never really sorry, even though we may
regret it.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac, near Mount Vernon, VA