Re: IRIS-L digest 785

On what-do-you-call-the- apendages

**

For the Shaefer/Sachs, the extra decoration is on the style arms. For
Lloyd Zurbrigg, the decoration is on the beard.

I'm not sure how an iris will eventually become "double" if the decoration
is on these area of the bloom.

Lloyd said something to the effect that these apendages might be called
petaloids, but as I look at other flowers which really do have petaloids,
for example decorative dahlias, the petaloid is not assoicated with the
any other part of the bloom, but occurs from the base as do the petals.

Anyone have any good information about these features??

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY