Re: CULT: I. versicolor

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Barbara Mann wrote:

> I know of several I versicolor clumps growing in a marsh in this
> zone 4 area so you could try it and expect them to grow well.
> Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address"

> Thanks, Diana. I'm beginning to get a little less intimidated by these iris,
> maybe.  To those of you who seem to be confused as to why I asked if they
> could grow in a pond, rest assured that I don't mean submerged like a water
> lily; I mean at the margins like a bog plant.  I know these seeds came "from a
> New York swamp", but I'm afraid I don't really understand genuine swamps.
> Never seen one.  So my next question is:  what happens to swamps in New York
> in winter--do they dry out before freezing, or do they freeze like skating
> ponds with vegetation sticking out?  I know, I should go visit somewhere cold
> in winter, but I'm not that brave.  And do the iris grow in the mud/water of
> the swamp, or do they prefer higher ground near the mud/water?
> Barb, perplexed in Santa Fe

Barb, The ones that I know that are growing in a swamp/marsh are
growing out in the middle also. This will be frozen hard and deep
in the winter. The edge ones may have the water go either up or
down in the fall. (It''s raining here more often now.) So they can
get along with freezing water round their bases. FWIW, I think you
should overwinter your seedlings in a cold frame because the
seedlings might be tender at this stage in their growth. Let us
know how they do. If necessary I will send you some seeds if they
don't manage.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page