Re: CULT: I. versicolor

Barb wrote

>To those of you who seem to be confused as to why I asked if they=20
>could grow in a pond, rest assured that I don't mean submerged like a water=
>lily; I mean at the margins like a bog plant.  I know these seeds came=
 "from a=20
>New York swamp", but I'm afraid I don't really understand genuine swamps. =
>Never seen one.  So my next question is:  what happens to swamps in New=
>in winter--do they dry out before freezing, or do they freeze like skating=
>ponds with vegetation sticking out?  I know, I should go visit somewhere=
>in winter, but I'm not that brave.  And do the iris grow in the mud/water=
>the swamp, or do they prefer higher ground near the mud/water?

Since my Versicolor is in my New York swamp, I'll try to explain what I=
 think happens down there.

The water level is dependent on how much rain we've been getting. The place=
 the iris are, next to a little footbridge, can vary anywhere between six=
 inches of standing water to no standing water. I don't think it's ever=
 dried out totally, but it has gotten to the point of moderately damp garden=
 soil. The only thing seasonal about the water level is that it's usually=
 highest in spring. This seems to be characteristic of any place water iris=
 grow around here. They dry out occassionally during the summer, and are=
 usually under a small amount of standing water. If there is water there=
 during the winter, it freezes, and I guess it does look a bit like a=
 skating pond. Except there is a LOT of vegetation sticking out. Also, since=
 it's in a low spot (surprise!), any snow we do get accumulates there, and=
 stays there.

Anything else you want to know, ask. I can always go and look.

Kay Cangemi
New York, USDA zone 5