Re: OT: wetlands

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: wetlands
  • From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 05:36:09 -0600 (MDT)

> I am probably in trouble already on account of the iris beds newly
> instituted. Howvever  no one must know about the brook as I haven't been
> arrested YET.  The brook does dry up  in the summer and is not much deeper
> that 4 inches in some spots.   Does any one know about the wetlands act
> before I go and turn myself in?

You need local assistance in regards to wetlands, forestation,
excavation and tree removal. The definitions and regulations can change
very rapidly from one political jurisdiction to another. In my
experience, the enforcement is dependent on the local officer and who
applies for what. There are a lot of judgement calls. I have an area
that I was sure should be considered wetland. A map over 120 years old
showed a stream on my property. After Soil Conservation, Forestry and
Critical Areas visited my site, bored and took soil samples, they
determined that it was not wetland. On my property here in Maryland,
other issues that affected the decisions for permitted uses included
core soil sampling, slope, existing vegetation, proximity to a tidal
stream and the Chesapeake Bay, lot size, existing uses, storm water
management, and creation or removal of impervious surfaces, just to name
a few.

As I read your post, I couldn't help but think you should be growing
Japanese and Siberian irises rather than tall beardeds. It sounds like
you may have an ideal site for them.

Good luck.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva