Anybody Ever Been Busted for Bingo??

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Anybody Ever Been Busted for Bingo??
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 15:29:31 -0600 (MDT)

After our fairly successful fall sale, we had a bunch
of iris left over. We were going to distribute the
remaining rhizomes with a bingo game. We publicized
the fact. The day of the meeting I had messages on my
phone machine from the vice squad and a police lieutenant,
the latter of which started off in a kind manner, but
ended up with "if you go ahead with this game someone
[I wonder who] is going to jail." It didn't matter that
the bingo cards were free, or that the prizes were
things we couldn't sell. We didn't have the $50 permit,
so we were breaking the law. [The same permit would allow
up to 3 games per week for a year, for fundraising.]

Anybody ever hear of such a thing?? How the #$@%@^
can the state (California) and city (Los Angeles)
place such limits on how we give things away?

Gerry, disgusted with the system

PS  We ended up giving our 140+ bags of rhizomes away
via other games and had a good time, but I will never
forget or forgive the powers that be.
--
gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles