SPEC: I. tectorum water needs

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SPEC: I. tectorum water needs
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 17:19:24 -0600 (MDT)

Hello, everyone.
This may sound like a lamebrain question, I know, but how much water does
I. tectorum require? TWOI just says a rich soil and half day of sun. It
notes these are Himalayan natives, but does that mean dry-loving plants?
Fog-loving plants? What? (Our local club's reference library is locked up
until the next monthly meeting and TWOI is the only reference book I have
to hand.)
Is tectorum another of those strange critters that wants more water at
certain times of year than others?

I have four starts which are doing rather well in the large pot I put them
in to get started before setting out. I'm watering this pot erratically,
perhaps once a week, but never with any confidence I'm doing the right
thing.

I had planned to put them near where cristata seems to be surviving, but a
little farther into the sun. That spot is watered at least twice a week. An
alternate position is beneath the magnolia (where they are now in their
pot). I would have to drag a hose over there, so it would not be watered
often. Importing enriched soil would not be a problem, as my compost pile
was near the magnolia last year.

Guidance?

celia
storey@aristotle.net