Re: Anybody Ever Been Busted for Bingo??

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Anybody Ever Been Busted for Bingo??
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 19:05:32 -0600 (MDT)

At 03:29 PM 10/4/97 -0600, you wrote:
>After our fairly successful fall sale, we had a bunch
>of iris left over. We were going to distribute the
>remaining rhizomes with a bingo game. We publicized
>the fact. The day of the meeting I had messages on my
>phone machine from the vice squad and a police lieutenant,
>the latter of which started off in a kind manner, but
>ended up with "if you go ahead with this game someone
>[I wonder who] is going to jail." It didn't matter that
>the bingo cards were free, or that the prizes were
>things we couldn't sell. We didn't have the $50 permit,
>so we were breaking the law. [The same permit would allow
>up to 3 games per week for a year, for fundraising.]
>Anybody ever hear of such a thing?? How the #$@%@^
>can the state (California) and city (Los Angeles)
>place such limits on how we give things away?
>Gerry, disgusted with the system

Unbelievable, Gerry!  And I thought NYS was the capital of such crappola!
The key element, of course, is that you did not "pay off" the powers that
be by buying the stupid permit...

Dorothy  (feelin' feisty today--got my chain saw pinched but good in a
stupid tree--but by gum, I got the thing out and the tree down and split up
anyway.  All by meself.  Hoo Yah!)