Re: SPEC: I. tectorum

Greetings:

I want to say something else about Iris tectorum and I have no scientific
reasons whatsoever for saying so, simply my own observations of plants in the
ground and also the behaviour of those fans which I have lifted and potted up
for moving around.

I think that, unlike Iris cristata which sets few seeds, and notwithstanding
the rapid ground covering ability of the clumps, seeds are the primary means
of self-preservation for this species. The copious seed production, high
proportion of viable seeds produced,  and ease of germination argue for this.
I've seen some dramatic large plantings, but my own plants do not seem to
take a major new lease on life with division, thus, in addition to rapidly
exhausting the soil, I think that the plants loose vigor.

Just something I've been thinking about off and on.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA  USDA Zone 7
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com