Re: SPEC: I. tectorum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. tectorum
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 21:18:36 -0600 (MDT)

In a message dated 97-10-04 22:12:03 EDT, Anner writes:

<< proportion of viable seeds produced,  and ease of germination argue for
 I've seen some dramatic large plantings, but my own plants do not seem to
 take a major new lease on life with division, thus, in addition to rapidly
 exhausting the soil, I think that the plants loose vigor >>

I. too, have seen dramatic large plantings.  One is the woodland Asian garden
in Chanticleer of southeastern Pennsylvania.  They don't seem to be digging
and dividing these large plantings but like Anner my plants do not increase
w/o dividing.
I have them planted under mountain laurels for the shade.  We had a 3 month
drought this summer and tectorum does not seem harmed, I did not water them.
Celia is in a very different climate so this may not be useful for her.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, N.Y. - zone 4 - with a few warm fall days for bulb planting.  No
rain for months and months and now it won't stop!!