Re: I. setosa?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: I. setosa?
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 06:36:49 -0600 (MDT)

At 06:15 AM 10/5/97 -0600, you wrote:

>they don't look like the I.vesicolor that
>I'm growing...these look much more grasslike, the leaves being very
>thin, about 1/4-1/2" in width with no noticable rhizome, more of a
>fiberous mass like a siberian, Of course, they weren't blooming but the
>seed pods were still there and they were about 1 1/2" long and had sharp
>triangular edges. The seeds were tiny and look exactly like the I.setosa
>seeds I just recieved from Alaska. She says the flower is a pale violet
>to light blue. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what I have?

Anna, your description sounds very much like the plant of I. prismatica I
have in my garden--right down to the triangular seed pod!  Mine is a very
pink violet, but they also come in light blue and white.  It is doing OK in
slightly acidic garden soil with a thin mulch of wood chips and only an
occasional shot of extra water--especially when it is dry.  Very simple,
very pretty in bloom.

Dorothy