REBLOOM: CHAT: mystery clump and WAY OT - women and chain saws

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: REBLOOM: CHAT: mystery clump and WAY OT - women and chain saws
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 08:30:38 -0600 (MDT)

Huge clump of 'mystery iris' that was an unidentified extra in an order
from Halls' last year has 4 bloom stalks on it, the tallest stalk
measures over 32" tall and is barely showing some color. (32" is a giant
here - most irises in R&I as 38" usually don't get over 30" - stunted by
gravelly soil in drought and freezes in spring).  Looks like another
clump of HARVEST OF MEMORIES - a great grower here.  Not supposed to get
cold for at least another week - thisn' may make it.

and Dorothy Fingerhoood said:
> (feelin' feisty today--got my chain saw pinched but good in a
> stupid tree--but by gum, I got the thing out and the tree down and split up
> anyway.  All by meself.  Hoo Yah!)

Reminds me of an ad in Mother Earth News personals page nearly 30 yrs
ago - "Mountain man looking for life mate with chain saw.  Send photo of
saw."  I had just spent a fortune on a Stihl 031 AV.  (Another missed
opportunity!).  The family I buy firewood from every year are originally
from Michigan - matriarch cuts pulpwood for a living (don't know if this
is more the 'norm' in Michigan - certainly isn't around here).  She is a
granny now and we were commiserating last year about how one of the
things we hate most about aging is that it has made it almost impossible
to crank a saw anymore.  She says she has to get one of her sons or
grandsons to crank the saw for her now, but still was cutting wood last
year.  She must be well over 60.  I must be sure and tell her about the
new 'easy start' saws Stihl is making now.  The haven't put all the
"comfort" features on their big saws yet, but maybe next year.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
with a new Stihl catalog to browse