Germinating Fall Pod TB Seeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Germinating Fall Pod TB Seeds
  • From: RMTURLEY@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 08:41:16 -0600 (MDT)

Dear all,

Have you tried placing the seed in zip lock bags on moist paper towel or in
moist perlit and store in the refrigerator for 60 days.  The temperature in
the frig is around 40 degrees F.  Some seed will begin to germinate by then.
 Take them out and plant in pots and germinating will continue like in the
spring.

Robert Turley
Lake Charles, LA
Zone 9

<<On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:

> Art,
>
> Yes, I have done this the past two Octobers with good success since our
> winters have been relatively mild and the pods were allowed to mature.
> I harvested the pods in December.  The problem I encountered is getting
> the seeds to germinate.  They will not germinate as readily as seeds
> harvested in the summer.  When I plant the seeds in January/Febuary they
> will not germinate in the spring with my previous summer seeds.  They
> seem to need more time.  I kept the pots(I pot my seeds) and many
> germinated the spring after.  Anyone have any ideas on whats going on
> with these fall/winter seeds?  I have about 20 pots I'm carrying over
> from last fall crosses.
>
> Rick Tasco
> Superstition Iris Gardens
> Central California
> Zone 8

	I have had the same experience with fall pods that Rick mentions.
The pods mature, and the seeds look viable, but they don't germinate for
me.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8