Rebloom report 5 OCT 97

Hello folks,
Here is what I found in bloom today.

MDB - Velvet Toy

SDB - Nothing and that may be it for these. Didn't see any buds.

IB - Blessed Again - This has been a trooper this year.

BB - Boy O Boy, Brownberry, Cool Treat, Little Miss, Zinc Pink,
	Peach Ice Cream, Pink Bubbles

MTB - Nothing and nothing more to come that I noticed.

TB - Art School Angel, Autumn Tryst, Banana Cream, Belvi Cloud, Belvi Queen,
	Best Bet, Breakers, Cantina, Chabacano, Corn Harvest, Cross Stitch,
Darkside,
	Earl of Essex, Eternal Waltz, English Charm, Fortune Teller, Garden Grace,
	Gilded, Heavenly Days, Hemstitched, Hilltop View, Immortality, Inland
Passage, 	Jean Guymer, Maiden, Now and Later, Peach Jam, Renown, Sea World,
Sky Hooks,
	Spicy Twist, Stingray, Violet Returns.

	Plus two imposters, one of which was bought as Moon Mistress and the other
as Illini Repeater. Both nice irises and good rebloomers but not identified.

COMMENTS

It has been a very cool year here, perhaps the coolest summer on record. It
has also been very wet for us. Historically our yearly total precipitation
is 13" - 14". Already this year we have had over 20" and this will very
likely set a new record.
Because there has been so much cloud cover, our nights have been relatively
warm. It has not approached frost so far. two nights at 4.5C or 40F have
been the low points.

BREAKERS - I gathered from earlier posts to the list that in many places
this iris refuses to bloom at all. It always blooms spring and fall here.
One of the most reliable. The fall stalks are usually magnificent but
sometimes a bit late and they get hit by frost. Based on the way it
performs here it is one of my favorites.

Several of these have never given us fall bloom before including several
which are not registered as rebloomers.

1995 was a good year for rebloom when virtualy all of the registered
rebloomers which we had then, put on their late show. Partly as a result of
that we actively sought out rebloomers that year and those new acquisitions
certainly did well this year.

1996 in contrast was not a good rebloom year for us. I must reread Dr.
Spoon's papers in the AIS Quarterly but my first impression was that day
length was the main deciding factor. It probably is a factor and may be an
mportant factor but it cannot be the only important variable. I would
imagine that it is a necessary but not sufficient variable. I have accurate
temperature and rainfall records for this field going back several years
and when the outside work slows down I will look at these and see if I can
find any thing significant there.

Memory can play tricks, but my recall of the summer and fall of 1995 was a
much warmer, drier period than we have had this year.

The other thing that I have decided that I had better do is join the
reblooming section.

John Montgomery
monashee@bcgrizzly.com
Vernon  BC  Zone 5