Re: I. setosa?

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997 ECPep@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-10-05 08:13:50 EDT,Anna Meade writes:
>
> << I'm growing...these look much more grasslike, the leaves being very
>  thin, about 1/4-1/2" in width with no noticable rhizome, more of a
>  fiberous mass like a siberian >>

> I have a group of setosa growing in my garden raised from seed.  The leaves
> are quite like a versicolor, much wider than your description.  After
> blooming setosa grows on into a strong and vigorous plant.
>
> There are many forms of this species on the SIGNA list, I suppose one could
> have a narrow leaf but not the two sorts I have raised from seed.
> Claire Peplowski East Nassau, N.Y. - zone 4

Claire and Anna, I have new seedlings of 2 separate varieties and
from I hookeri. The won't have their full gowth until next year but
look as if they will be like I versicolor except they lack the red
colour at the base of the leaves.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html