Re: Double iris wow - was (ugh)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Double iris wow - was (ugh)
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 01:42:08 -0600 (MDT)

	Some of you may have forgotten FULL HOUSE (Duane Meek, '76) of
several years ago with five standards and five falls - not exactly double,
but...

	I wouldn't necessarily chunk an oddity like this for it may lead
to something better and decidedly different on down the road.  If Lloyd
Austin had chunked the first iris he noted with a spear at the tip of the
beard, we might not have the horned and flounced varieties of today.
There must be a lot of people (judges included) out there who favor such
adornments as what Lloyd gave us for we now have a Dykes medalist that is
so adorned.  Could be that next year, there will be another.

	Now the truly creative hybridizer (not me, of
course---non-creative and old) should cross FH with a flat type iris such
as SIX PACK to see what variations in form are produced.

	Remember, also reblooming irises were oddities years ago.  There
were some major iris hybridizers who destroyed reblooming seedlings
immediately if summer or fall bloom was expressed.  Rebloom was a 'fault'
in the genetic make-up of the cultivar and was culled!!

	Marvin Granger discovered double La's years ago when there were
wild stands of La's in the marshes of south Louisiana.  Almost
singlehandedly he has perpetuated this trait, culminating in '98 with
STARLIGHT STARBRIGHT.

	Don't toss at first sight any seedling that is a departure from
the norm.  Your 'ugly duckling' (double iris) may turn into a swan!

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8