Re: I. setosa?

TK & Anna Meade wrote:
> Yesterday a friend of mine gave me a clump of what she said were native
> irises that she had moved from a bog like area on her property. I
> assumed they would be I.versicolor because that's what grows around
> here, that I know of. Well, they don't look like the I.vesicolor that
> I'm growing...these look much more grasslike, the leaves being very
> thin, about 1/4-1/2" in width with no noticable rhizome, more of a
> fiberous mass like a siberian, Of course, they weren't blooming but the
> seed pods were still there and they were about 1 1/2" long and had sharp
> triangular edges. The seeds were tiny and look exactly like the I.setosa
> seeds I just recieved from Alaska. She says the flower is a pale violet
> to light blue. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what I have? Thanks
> and I'll let you know how (if) they grow in my garden soil. Anna Meade
> in Southern NJ ,Zone6/7

I just planted seedlings of I. Versicolor, Setosa and Prismatica from
pots into a newly prepared bed.  (Signa Seeds).  Both Versicolor and
Setosa were quite similar and resembled Siberians to me.  Some even had
purple bases.  Each had quite an extensive root system as they were
growing in the pots since February.  Prismatica was more slender of
foilage and a smaller plant.  The unusual aspect of Prismatica was the
small increases(?) somewhat like daggers coming from the main plant.
One plant actually had some sort of stolon coming from it.  I planted
all plants in soil heavily incorporated with peat moss.

The Versicolor were stiff robust and dark green plants.  The Setosa had
weaker and more greenish/yellow foilage that I had to cut back because
they were falling over.

Hope this helps.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens