Re: SPEC: I. tectorum

R. Dennis Hager wrote:

> BTW, my brother used to grow I. tectorum on his roof. Definite proof
> that this plant disease is genetic.

Maybe he just has a little oriental blood in him...

If I remember correctly. I. Tectorum is also called Japanese Roof Iris.
It was called that because at one point it was used as the make-up base
for the Geisha, and omewhere along the line an emperor decreed the the
iris could no longer be grown on Japanese land (or maybe only commoners
couldn't grow it on Japanese land, or all the land belonged to the
Emperor you could only grow the iris with permission or some such).
Anyway, no one was allowed to grow it. But the clever commoners figured
out that the roof wasn't Japanese land and started growing it on their
roofs. Ergo the name

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.