Re: SPEC: I. tectorum water needs

Hi Celia

      My I. t. gets what ever happens. They do have protection from weather ,
as they grow under the fir trees in my garden. At the public park in Tacoma
they are out in the open. They do get water occasionally as yours are in a
pot your treatment sounds very logical.

     I will quote from GROWING IRISES  by Cassidy and Linnegar.
I. tecorium has  cultural requirements. For some unknown reason it seems
quickly to exhaust the soil so it likes to be moved to a new position as
often as possible- at least every two years. This should be done just after
flowering. It also tends to hoist its rhizomes out of the ground and expose
the roots and a heavy mulch of well rotted compost should be applied in the
spring and autumn..

     In a couple other sections of the book it mentions that " tectorium is
suitable for the rockery, just requiring plenty of feed and regular moving"
and "Tectores. These Himalayan crested irises  are hardy but prefers a
situation against a warm, sunny wall"

      So  theres a couple of opinions for you.

Rita B
University Place, Wa USA
# 7 with a sunny day sneeking in between the down pours