Re: Watsonia & Agapanthus

I've had two good experiences with Watsonias.  When I lived in Florida,
they acted like good hardy perennials, rapidly increasing in sandy soil.  I
brought some with me when I first came to Virginia and planted them out in
the spring.  They bloomed well in summer, died back by November and were
lifted and stored just like Gladiolus.  Gradually, other things took their
place and I gave away the corms I had.

In Colorado, I would definitely hold them in a cool, dry place for spring

Agapanthus would have to be a house plant in Colorado, but could be put
outside in the summer.  I have a big pot of a fairly small hybrid which
blooms in July each year; spends winter in the house and sometimes has one
or two stems blooming around February.  This spring I bought a new plant
from Arrowhead Alpines called 'Tinkerbelle variegated'. It's a variegated
Agapanthus with leaves only about 4" long and a half-inch wide.  It has
grown well and multiplied and I hope it may bloom this winter or next
summer.  It would be very charming if the blooms are in keeping with the
size of the foliage.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College