Rebloomers that didn't

I have been reading everyone's reports of reblooming irises in the
northern hemisphere with seething jealousy. Altho it has been remarkably
warm & dry here in the mtns of Colorado lately, it IS Oct. & I have to
concede that my hoped-for rebloom is not going to happen this year.

Some of you may remember that I bought a number of TB's & SDB's, all
known to rebloom in Zone 4 locales, in summer '96 & enjoyed their first
flowers this past June. I figured that my high altitude, foothills
garden would give these puppies a real challenge & unfortunately, it has
proved too much for them. Plants are healthy, increases seem adequate, a
bit more than my "normal" TB's/SDB's & the initial bloom period was
dandy if not overwhelming -- none of the iris I received in this initial
grab-bag purchase would make Rusty's list of striking iris but they're
still pretty.

We ended up having a remarkably wet summer overall (2nd wettest May-Oct
in Colorado history, meaning since roughly 1870) this year & so less
intense sunlight than is normal for here -- maybe this spoiled the
chances of secondary bloom.

Whatever the reason, I declare the experiment a failure, at least for
calendar '97. Phoo.

Marte in the mtns       Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado