Re: Double iris-a plea for circumspection

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Double iris-a plea for circumspection
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 13:50:32 -0600 (MDT)

Walter Moores, who knows far better than I about the intricasies of
hybridizing bearded irises, cautioned us thus:

<< I wouldn't necessarily chunk an oddity like this for it may lead  to
something better and decidedly different on down the road.  If Lloyd  Austin
had chunked the first iris he noted with a spear at the tip of the  beard, we
might not have the horned and flounced varieties of today.  There must be a
lot of people (judges included) out there who favor such  adornments as what
Lloyd gave us for we now have a Dykes medalist that is so adorned.  Could be
that next year, there will be another. Now the truly creative hybridizer
..should cross FH with a flat type iris such  as SIX PACK to see what
variations in form are produced. >>

Sounds really interesting. With all respect to those who dissent, I think it
behooves us to be more circumspect about what we dismiss in the abstract when
we are talking about a rich gene pool so capable of producing a variety of
forms, colors, sizes and textures. Many of the aspects of the bearded iris we
have come to appreciate--ruffling, lacing, flared falls, greater substance,
quiet hafts, remarkable beards, and color breaking have been born not only
from planned crosses and deliberate manipulations, but from a spirit of
curiosity and creative experiment.

I enjoy variety in irises, although I don't usually like freakish things, and
it seems to me that it would be important to perpetuate--not compost--
breakthroughs for those who might like them and for hybridizers who might
want to perfect their own pursuits using all available genetic material.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com