Re: rebloomers that didn't

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: rebloomers that didn't
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 03:24:07 -0600 (MDT)

> Whatever the reason, I declare the experiment a failure, at least for
> calendar '97. Phoo.
> Marte

Don't give up for future years Marte.  It took several years for me to
convince my rebloomers to do something in my "garden" (=torture chamber
for irises), spring OR fall.  Still no spring bloom on any of them, but
bloom two years in a row.  And IMMORTALITY, which used to rot for me all
the time and didn't bloom at all for several years in a row now blooms
off and on all thru the growing season (freezes out in spring).  All of
them seemed to need at least one full growing season here to settle in
before blooming at all.  I got LO HO SILVER this year because of all the
reports on it reblooming all over the US on this list and it has a bud
on it after only being in the ground a month!  And PERFUME COUNTER,
which I have had for over 10 yrs, put up a stalk this summer.  What am I
doing different?  Horse manure, mushroom compost, regular doses of
6-12-12 (instead of just once a year) and alfalfa pellets, and water now
and then during droughts.  Plus an occasional dose of ground limestone
(nothing new about that though).  In my high but intermittant rainfall
area (close to zero rain for nearly 3 months this summer; annual total
close to 60 inches), all this excess seems to be what it takes.  PERFUME
COUNTER may have decided to bloom because of all the unusually cool wet
weather in June - although it has been a good, reliable, frost resistant
spring bloomer from day one, I didn't know it was supposed to be a
rebloomer till this spring, at which time I dug a chunk of it out of the
grass and put it where I can feed and water it regularly.

Notice that none of these are the gorgeous newer intros.  Now that I can
get the old reliables to bloom, I am trying some slightly newer ones
this year.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA