Re: Watsonia & Agapanthus

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Marte Halleck wrote:

> John I Jones wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Sunset Western Garden Book says they are hardy in zones 4-9 and 12-24
> > (Sunset zones that is). In colder climes treat them like Glads. So
> > whatever yo do with your Glads do to the Watsonia. I don't think I
> > would keep them moist.
>
> I'm definitely in Sunset zone 1, their coldest. As to treating the
> Watsonia corms like Glads I still need help -- have never grown Glads,
> either! I believe you're correct that Glads are supposed to be kept dry,
> & cool, over the winter -- anybody know how dry & how cool? Is putting
> the corms in a paper sack sufficient or should they be "encased" in dry
> peat or something? All advice & thots cheerfully accepted.

Glads need to be washed off and stored in a cool dry room about
60oF or slightly less in paper bag(s) with anti fungal powder.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html