Re: rebloomers that didn't

Linda Mann wrote:

> > Whatever the reason, I declare the experiment a failure, at least
> > for calendar '97. Phoo.
> > Marte
>
> Don't give up for future years Marte.  It took several years for me to
> convince my rebloomers to do something in my "garden" (=torture
> chamber for irises), spring OR fall.  Still no spring bloom on any of
> them, but QUEEN DOROTHY, GOLDEN ENCORE, and HARVEST OF MEMORIES have
> now had fall bloom two years in a row. [snip]

Thanks Linda -- I think I expected too much in the way of fireworks from
my assorted TB & SDB rhizomes in their 1st full year here. Queen Dorothy
did not bloom at all, spring, summer or fall but Harvest of Memories did
bloom in June, quite nicely. (Don't yet have Golden Encore, Immortality,
Lo Ho Silver or Perfume Counter.) Other non-bloomers this year to date
include English Cottage & Needlecraft, others all bloomed in early June,
2 SDB's bloomed twice, "sequentially" (as defined by List members) in
early June & again later that month: Jewel Baby & Little Showoff.

I fertilized all these plants thruout the spring & summer, fairly
lavishly I thot, but then my normal habit is to grow stuff "lean & mean"
so it will either become tough & strong or die so it can be replaced
with something with a better survival attitude! Maybe I need to make
more of a fuss about these rebloomers than I have done to date.

I have yet to track down a source of alfalfa pellets, which is ironic:
this used to be horse & ranch territory but the old feed stores have all
been replaced by boutiques & coffee bars... Will keep searching.
Question: once I get alfalfa pellets, is now a good time in the cold
zones to put them in iris plantings or would very early next spring
(when we still have snow) be better -- or both? It's very dry here at
present.

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado