Re: Germinating Fall Pod TB Seeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Germinating Fall Pod TB Seeds
  • From: bstassen@comp.uark.edu (Robert E. Stassen)
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:42:11 -0600 (MDT)

If I recall, in the mid 80's Donald Koza (Minnesota Iris Society) wrote a
brief article in the AIS bulletin discussing how he avoided the germination
problem by planting 'green' seeds (just as the pods began to dry, far prior
to splitting).  The logic of this seemed sound since it would circumvent the
required cold period and avoid the probelms with getting enough moisture on
the seeds to penetrate the seed coat and avoid dormancy, and increase
germination.

I mentioned this to Leon Ensminger (Lincoln, NE) when I marveled at the
great germination he was getting with his seedlings (he kept them WET from
the day they were planted in the fall).  He questioned what the hybridizer
would gain in time through early germination, which I couldn't answer either.

My question is--what ever happened to planting 'green' seeds?  Was Ensminger
right?