Re: esthetics

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Linda Mann wrote:

> see flowers, but there is no way at all to tell from catalogs or awards
> anything about growth, other than it must grow really well somewhere.
> And it probably grows fast enough where it grows well to be commercially
> valuable.
> hmm.  Sorry.  seems to have hit a nerve.
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
	Right you are, Linda!  But, earlier this year when there were
discussions about poor growth habits almost nation-wide with certain
award-winning cultivars, we were told to 'cool it' because it sounded as
if we were attacking the hybridizers of these cultivars and the AIS Awards
system.  But, that was not the case.  We were simply stating what does not
perform for us even though the plants were created by one of the great
hybridizing concerns anywhere, and enough AIS judges voted for these
plants for them to be awarded HM's, AM's, and Dykes.

	I had also stated that I have seen some of my own introductions
flounder elsewhere and that I was prepared to accept the comments of
negative growth patterns of my introductions in certain colder climates.

	What hit the nerve with me was that 'we should not speak ill' of
these 'sacred' plants when they sulk and die after a $40 expenditure to
acquire them.  Further, one comment that really pinch a nerve mentioned
that if I could not grow "_________," (award-winning intro of a noted
hybridizer), I did not know how to grow irises at all!

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8