Re: rebloomers that didn't

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: rebloomers that didn't
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 18:31:18 -0600 (MDT)

Marte said:
> I fertilized all these plants thruout the spring & summer, fairly
> lavishly I thot, but then my normal habit is to grow stuff "lean & mean"
> so it will either become tough & strong or die so it can be replaced
> with something with a better survival attitude! Maybe I need to make
> more of a fuss about these rebloomers than I have done to date.

I have always taken the lean and mean approach too - doesn't work for
the rebloomers.  I hope I can still refuse to dig and replant every few
years.  Some time back, there was a post about someone who is well known
for their rebloomers and their techniques for growing them.  Sounded
more like an asparagus bed!  I would have expected rot for sure, but
lots of lush growing conditions seem to work, at least for the eastern
bred ones.

Can't help you with the alfalfa pellets - I just sprinkle them around as
a side dressing whenever I can't see evidence of the last batch anymore,
but your growing conditions (zone, moisture) are so different from mine,
I dunno.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA