OT-BIO Duane Buell

Hello from Juneau, Alaska--USDA zone 6 (depending on which
part of my yard you are in). My name is Duane Buell.

I moved here about 25 years ago from central Calif. where I
could grow about anything I wanted, including just about any
species of iris. Here most commercial species either succumb
to frost heave, or in the case of bulbous types, they simply
freeze to death.

Our soil is generally wet and cold, and very acid, and in
a 10 mile stretch of coastline, rainfall can range from under 60 to
over 100 inches per year.

We have a native species of iris, i. setosa that likes wetlands and
marshes. It is generally blue or lavender, and I am told it can
sometimes be white although I have never seen a white one.
See the blue one at: http://www.outdoorhq.com/garden/akiris1.gif
Note that these are considered poisonous, especially the rhizome!

Anyhow, I would like to trade some seeds of the setosa for tenax (Oregon),
pseudoacorus (yellow flag), missouriensis (Western blue) or other
species adaptable or native to cold, wet areas. If you don't have
iris seeds to trade, I am also interested in seeds for any cold climate
primulas.

Thanks,
Duane Buell
dbuell@ptialaska.net