Re: SPEC-Iris prismatica

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC-Iris prismatica
  • From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 06:15:57 -0600 (MDT)

Ian wrote:
> As to the rhizome format for prismatica, mine does not run everywhere as
> the literature suggests it should norcan I see rhizomes in the growing
> plant but it has the form that would follow a fiberous root mass.

I find that most interesting. I. prismatica 'Polly Spout' came to me as
a small plant in a 4" pot and it had grown to the sides of the
container. When I moved it early last spring, the rhisome looked more
like an invasive sedge than an iris. It continues to happily move about
the garden.

In addition, 'Polly Spout' hasn't gotten over 2' tall.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva (but in Buffalo in time for dinner)