Planting & a surprise

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Planting & a surprise
  • From: Mark Thornsburg <thrnsbrg@flash.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:48:08 -0600 (MDT)

Hi everyone.

Today, I got 4 more beds planted... two of which were planted in the
rain, while my dad sat in the garage while I yelled out the names of
what I was planting, and which row it was in. (We worked from left to
right.)  Of all the ones that were sent to me this summer, about 10 have
lost their nametags (or the ink wore off) or the leaves the names were
on dried up and fell off.  So... I'm going to have to think of a way to
ensure label readability after 2 soaks in clorox-water.  (yes...2.  One
of my sources for rhizomes sent me some bad plants.)  Oh...and i found
seed pods on a rosebush.  Does anyone know what to do with these?

Oh...and one more thing.  While I was planting in what used to be my
only garden in the front (the rest were mom& dads) I found... yes.. A
SEEDLING!!!!!!!!!!  It is sooo tiny.  3 tiny leaves, and the rhizome is
still semi-indistinguishable from the whitish part of the leaves.  It is
round, though, and it had one big root.  So next year, I think we'll see
my first seedling, courtesy of Mr. Bee.

That made it worth all my crosses *not* taking this year.

Rusty