Re: IRIS-L digest 794

Griff said -->
Hello all -- It's 7 p.m. on Saturday and my mail brings only three
iris-l postings -- two from yesterday and one from today -- a Bill Mull
message. Have we really been that quiet, or has my server done away with
my iris-l mail?

jgcrump@erols.com

********
On Saturday night, everyone was basking in the glow of the First International
Japanese Iris Symposium that was held at the RBG in Hamilton Ontario.

It was WUNNERFUL! Spectacular! Out of this world! All the greats in the
Japanese Iris world were there. This Symposium will move hybridizing along
by leaps and bounds.

The ideas that struck me most were from John Coble who talked about breeding
to separate out the colors and then control for the features in crossings.

Thunderstruck!

And Chad Harris on garden value has some innovative goals in his hybridizing.
He showed slides of CV's that were self cleaning, had buds separate from
one another so that in bloom sequence, they don't interfer with one another.

Keep your eye out for his intros.

AND Tony Huber's Inter-Species crossings brought ohhs and ahhs many many
times.

AND Terry Aitken's overview of goals in Japanese Iris, orchids and daylilies
set the stage at the beginning of the day.

And those of you who know her will cheer when you learn that Dorothy Stahly
was the MC. She kept crowd in a lighthearted mood the whole day.

And, as it turns out, everyone went home with all their clothes on, even tho'
most carried their tee shirts out on their arm.

Thanks Peter Weixlman and Kathy Guest of the Western New York Iris Society
and the Empire State Iris Society and to Cathy Boyko of the Canadian Iris
Society.

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY