HYB: wide or interspecies crosses

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HYB: wide or interspecies crosses
  • From: cschrote@qntm.com (Chad Schroter)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:52:46 -0600 (MDT)

        Have seen some interesting messages referring to interspecies cross's,
ones I think I remember were Louisiana Tet. by Spuria and Louisiana Tet. by I.
versicolor. I have read about some in WOI specifically involving I. pallida, I.
tectorum, I. japonica, i.e. the evansias. How can I predict what will "take" as
some of these crosses involve some strange Chromosome counts (28 x 30) etc. I
have most types of Iris including some Tet. Louisiana's and several species iris
and would like to play around but don't know what "works". It would be more fun
if the offspring had some chance of being fertile instead of mules. Louisiana x
Spuria sounds pretty WIDE to me, like PCI by Siberian (CalSibe ?). Any fun
suggestions out there ?

        Chad Schroter in Los Gatos CA Zone 9b