Re: OT-BIO Duane Buell

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Duane Buell wrote:

> Hello from Juneau, Alaska--USDA zone 6 (depending on which
> part of my yard you are in). My name is Duane Buell.
> I moved here about 25 years ago from central Calif. where I
> could grow about anything I wanted, including just about any
> species of iris. Here most commercial species either succumb
> to frost heave, or in the case of bulbous types, they simply
> freeze to death.
> Our soil is generally wet and cold, and very acid, and in
> a 10 mile stretch of coastline, rainfall can range from under 60 to
> over 100 inches per year.
> We have a native species of iris, i. setosa that likes wetlands and
> marshes. It is generally blue or lavender, and I am told it can
> sometimes be white although I have never seen a white one.
> See the blue one at: http://www.outdoorhq.com/garden/akiris1.gif
> Note that these are considered poisonous, especially the rhizome!
Duane, glad to have you on Iris-L. Suggest you try I hookeri which
is derived from I setosa. You might get good results from I
sanguinea which is a siberian species from Asia.

> Duane Buell dbuell@ptialaska.net

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page