Re: Tender growth vs cold......

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Tender growth vs cold......
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:42:27 -0600 (MDT)

Someone in Wisconsin said
> Help!  We have had unseasonably warm temperatures here in Wis for the past
> two to three weeks.  I mean 20-25 degrees above normal for this time of year.
>  Today, I noticed that 75% of the new rizomes I planted about a month ago
> have new growth.  Unfortunately, the warm spell is about to end and upper
> 30's are being predicted within the next 2-3 days.  First frost is soon to
> follow.  What kind of damage is this going to do to the new rizomes?

Welcome to the wonderful world of screening for freeze tolerance that we
get to indulge in every winter farther south.  Some of your purchases
will be very unhappy and will probably rot, some of sturdier stuff won't
care at all.  Some may survive it all, but not bloom as well in the

> there anything I can do to help?

Covering with Reemay cloth at night may ease the transition to colder

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA